In Singapore, nearly 32 per cent of the population will be aged 65 and above by 2035. Given the growing ageing population in our country, demand for elderly care products is bound to increase as well.
Elderly care products are not only useful but practical for older adults, especially in their golden years. As simple as they appear, it allows them to perform everyday tasks with ease, promotes independent living, and has the power to improve their overall quality of life.
However, getting access to these tools can be quite a challenge due to their costly nature. But before diving straight into deciding what to get, let’s first explore the common types of elderly care products so you can determine what works best for your elderly loved one.
Common Types of Elderly Care Products
Multiple factors contribute to elderly mobility loss such as past injuries, existing physical conditions, and even age. While these problems can be easily managed by making simple lifestyle changes like exercising regularly and improving your diet, mobility devices can also help your elderly loved ones remain independent.
Some of the most common types of mobility products include:
- Walking sticks
- Rollator walkers
Bath Safety Products
In almost any home, bathrooms are one of the most dangerous rooms in the house, especially for the elderly. Although it may not appear as such, toilets are full of environmental hazards such as slippery surfaces and the lack of safety features that can increase the risk of falls, resulting in serious consequences on one’s physical and psychological health.
In Singapore alone, 1 in 3 elderly people aged 65 years old and above will have at least one fall in a year. One effective way to reduce the risk of falls is to install bath safety products in your home as a preventive measure.
This includes equipment such as:
- Commode chairs
- Non-slip bath mats
- Safety grab bars
- Toilet seat raiser
- Hand-held shower head
Comfort Care Products
If your elderly loved one suffers from frequent body aches such as back pain or stiff neck, or perhaps have more serious physical conditions like arthritis or joint degeneration, it may be a challenge for them to achieve comfort when they are resting or going about their daily activities.
This is why there are elderly care products specifically designed to increase comfort for seniors throughout the day and night.
Common comfort care products that can greatly benefit the elderly are:
- Wedge pillows
- Adjustable bed and mattress
- Heating pads
- Bedside foam fall pads
- Special massage furniture
Medical and Home Health Care Devices
Medical devices are probably one of the broadest groups of elderly care equipment. Essentially, these tools help families and their caregivers provide better care for individuals who are undergoing home care treatment.
This includes administration equipment for medication, assistive devices to support one’s mobility, monitors to manage one’s health status, as well as durable medical equipment to enhance the performance of activities of daily living.
To give you a better idea of what medical devices consists of, here are a few examples:
- Hospital beds
- Hearing aids
- Lift equipment
- Blood pressure (BP) monitor
- First aid equipment
- Nasal sprays and inhalers
While incontinence is nothing to be ashamed of, it can have detrimental effects on a senior’s quality of life. Urinary incontinence is one of the determining factors that families take into consideration before sending their elderly loved ones to a nursing home or assisted living facility. On top of that, it can also lead to various health issues such as pressure injuries and even falls.
To combat this problem, incontinence products make it possible for older adults to avoid soiling clothing or furniture and maintain their dignity in their golden years all at the same time.
These products include:
- Pads and protective garments
- Waterproof sheeting
- Condom catheters
- Portable emergency urinal
- Mattress and chair protectors
Top 11 Places to Get Affordable Elderly Care Products in Singapore
Fortunately, it is not hard to find elderly care products in Singapore that won’t break the bank. Furthermore, there are financial grants and subsidies such as the Seniors’ Mobility and Enabling Fund (SMF) available to offset some of the costs.
Here’s a comprehensive list of the top 11 places to find affordable elderly care products in the country ranging from mobility aids to medical devices.
Quick plug: the recently-launched Homage Store stocks a wide range of elderly care items. Items in the shop have been carefully curated by our in-house specialists, and all items can be delivered to your doorstep.
Known as the largest online elderly care retail store in the country, SeniorCare is loved by many Singaporean families due to its extensive range of products. They carry everything from mobility products, bathroom and bedroom aids, home and safety monitoring, exercise equipment, and the list goes on.
In their five years of business, SeniorCare has distributed over 1 million parcels worth of products in all of Singapore and the Asia Pacific, proving that they are one of the most preferred retailers in this industry.
- Website: https://seniorcare.com.sg/
- Location: 38 Woodlands Industrial Park E1, #02-11
- Telephone: 6219 5490
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 8am to 4:30pm
- Best for: Mobility aids, medical equipment, and incontinence products
2. The Golden Concepts
Initially run from a home office back in 2011, The Golden Concepts outgrew their humble space and have now become one of the leading e-commerce stores providing curated quality eldercare products to families in Singapore. Based on their brand philosophy, maximising one’s mobility should not come at a hefty price.
Along with their fair and inexpensive price range, they also accept payments through Hoolah. This allows you to split your payment into 3 monthly instalments at 0% interest, making eldercare products even more affordable for your loved ones.
- Website: https://www.thegoldenconcepts.com/
- Location: 3 Ubi Ave 3, Crocodile House #05-02B (Rear Lobby)
- Telephone: 8657 1657
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 10am to 7pm, Saturday from 11am to 6pm, and Sunday from 11am to 4pm
- Best for: Mobility equipment, bath and bedroom safety products
3. Assisted Living
Founded in 1998, Assisted Living is one of the country’s finest when it comes to providing premium healthcare products and hospital equipment. Having steadily built up their repertoire over the years, they are now one of the largest authorised distributions of a variety of globally-recognised medical brands including Karma, Apex Medical, LifePlus and Atlas Medical among many others.
While their specialisation lies in incontinence equipment, mobility devices, and bath safety products, they also offer orthopaedic supports for fitness and pain management purposes as well. Besides providing quality products and equipment for families and their elderly loved ones, Assisted Living also supplies major clinics, hospitals, and nursing homes in the country for all their healthcare needs.
- Website: http://www.assistedliving.com.sg/
- Location: 10 Sinaran Drive, #03-20/21, Square 2
- Telephone: 6254 1332
- Operating hours: Daily from 11am to 10pm
- Best for: Mobility aids and incontinence products
Eldercare.Market is a curated marketplace offering home medical equipment and healthcare products, especially for eldercare needs. Despite having only been in this field since 2018, they currently have an extensive product range including bathroom equipment, mobility products, medical and home care devices, and even health supplements for the elderly.
Besides having a single access point to a myriad of providers, caregivers and family members will also be guided with expert advice and educational content on the Eldercare.Market site to make informed home care purchase decisions for their elderly loved ones.
- Website: https://eldercare.market/
- Location: 79 Ayer Rajah Crescent #01-14
- Telephone: (65) 3138 8045
- Operation hours:
- Best for: Mobility aids, home medical equipment, healthcare products
5. Golden Years
Unlike its counterparts in the market, Golden Years specialises in providing technology-based eldercare products that take home care to a whole other level. From smart walking sticks equipped with emergency buzzers and flashlights, to their Robot Video Communicator made for console video calling, their products were designed with both seniors, their caregivers, and their families in mind.
By tapping into technology to enhance one’s quality of living, all members of the household can have peace of mind knowing that their elderly loved one is in good and safe hands.
- Website: https://www.goldenyears.com.sg/
- Location: 33 Ubi Avenue 3, #08-55 Vertex Building Tower A
- Telephone: 6743 8088 / 6747 3303
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm
- Best for: Technology-based eldercare products
6. Yeap Medical Supplies
Founded in 2000, this reputable service provider is known to be one of the pioneers in the field with numerous accolades under their belt. Over the years, they have supplied some of the world’s leading medical brands in the market including Apex Medical, Cardinal Health, EasyMax and many more.
Today, they have successfully grown and created their line of in-house brands and products, which are now widely used in many local medical establishments.
- Website: https://www.yms.com.sg/
- Location: 11 Yishun Industrial Street 1, #06-91, North Spring Bizhub
- Telephone: 6848 1010
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 8am to 5:45pm
- Best for: Medical supplies and mobility aids
7. AGIS Medical Supplies
If you are searching for the right motorised wheelchair or mobility scooter, look no further than AGIS Medical Supplies. With a strong focus on improving the mobility of the ageing population in Singapore through innovative design and state-of-the-art technology, their mobility aid products have won them the National Innovation Research Award for multiple years.
If purchasing a mobility device is way over your budget, they provide rentals as a cheaper alternative for those looking for inexpensive options. Apart from their extensive range of mobility products, you can also find customised ramps, hospital beds, and air mattresses in their product line.
- Website: https://agis.com.sg/
- Location: Blk 34 Whampoa West #01-55
- Telephone: 6259 9788
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 10am to 6pm, Saturday from 10am to 3pm
- Best for: Mobility scooters and motorised wheelchairs
8. Rehab Mart Homecare
Rehab Mart Homecare is a service provider focused on medical and healthcare products and assistive devices for the disabled. Despite most of their products being geared towards physically-challenged individuals, they also have a range of products specifically for home elder care.
This includes everything from bath safety products, wheelchairs, nursing equipment, posture supports, monitors, as well as first aid tools. On top of their product range, they also provide delivery and transport services to give caregivers a much-needed respite from their duties.
- Website: https://rehabmart.com.sg/
- Location: Various retail outlets nationwide including Balestier, Chinatown & Paya Lebar
- Telephone: Varies depending on the outlet
- Operating hours: Varies depending on the outlet
- Best for: Equipment for disabled persons
9. Lifeline Singapore
Lifeline is no stranger in the game—they are market leaders in the business of medical rehabilitation equipment. With over 25 sales offices in 7 countries in the Southeast Asian region, they have a wide distribution network composed of hospitals, specialist clinics, day surgery centres, nursing homes, and even laboratories.
Besides having multiple retail arms in the country, their online store allows customers to browse freely while providing relevant product and information and educational material from healthcare professionals at the same time. CHAS cardholders may also use their card to receive subsidies on qualified products.
- Website: https://lifelinecorp.com/sg/retail/
- Location: Various retail outlets nationwide including Singapore General Hospital (SGH) & Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Telephone: Varies depending on the outlet
- Operating hours: Varies depending on the outlet
- Best for: Rehabilitation products
10. SG HomeCare
With medical devices and home health care products becoming more costly over time, SG HomeCare wanted to provide easy access to essential medical products to middle and lower-income families in Singapore without having to compromise comfort, quality, and safety. Although their product range isn’t as comprehensive as their counterparts in the market, they provide quality walking aids, medical equipment and consumables at incredibly affordable prices.
First-time customers can enjoy an exclusive introductory discount of 10% on orders S$250 and free local delivery for purchases over S$78.
- Website: https://www.homecareneeds.com.sg/
- Location: 5 Lorong Bakar Batu, #04-03, Macpherson Industrial Complex
- Telephone: 9800 2463 / 9693 4789
- Operating hours: Tuesday & Thursday from 11am to 4pm
- Best for: Medical equipment and walking aids
11. Homage Store
To provide a fuller and more holistic care experience, Homage has launched the Homage Store, on top of providing home care services. From medical devices and bathroom safety products to mobility aids, adjustable beds and even ramps, families can now have all their care needs fulfilled in one place.
- Website: https://store.homage.sg/
- Location: Online store
- Telephone: 6100 0055
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Best for: All types of elderly care products and services
Stay Equipped with Homage
Low cost doesn’t always equate to low-quality products. Now, you know that it is possible to gain access to quality elderly care products without having to spend a fortune.
Using the right elder care product can greatly improve one’s quality of life and maintain independence and dignity, but sometimes, additional care support may still be required. Homage Care Professional can help provide various elder care services, from simple check-in visits to round-the-clock nursing care.
Our Care Specialists, who are nurses with extensive experiences, may also conduct an in-person care assessment in your home to better understand your care needs if required. They may also advise you on suitable eldercare products that will best help your loved ones, and even identify certain health hazards in your home that could be in the way of creating a safe environment for ageing in place.
Call 6100 0055 to get in touch with us and receive a free care consultation!
- Ang1, G. (n.d.). Approach to falls among the elderly in the community. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from http://www.smj.org.sg/article/approach-falls-among-elderly-community
- Blanchet, R., & Edwards, N. (2018, November 9). A need to improve the assessment of environmental hazards for falls on stairs and in bathrooms: Results of a scoping review. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6234792/
- Grey, H. (2021, February 01). Fall prevention: 10 tips & programs for the elderly. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.homage.sg/resources/fall-prevention/
- Grey, H. (2021, January 19). Activities of daily LIVING (ADL) in Singapore. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.homage.sg/resources/activities-of-daily-living-adl/
- Grey, H. (2021, March 06). A guide to seniors’ mobility and enabling fund (smf). Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.homage.sg/resources/seniors-mobility-and-enabling-fund/
- Hirschmann, R. (n.d.). Topic: Aging population of Singapore. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.statista.com/topics/5821/ageing-population-of-singapore/
- Moreau, R., AM. Swartz, S., DM. Bravata, C., EM. Murtagh, M., J. Erlichman, A., SW. Charlifue, D., . . . P. Terrier, F. (1970, January 01). Mobility related physical and functional losses due to aging and disease – a motivation for lower limb exoskeletons. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://jneuroengrehab.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12984-018-0458-8
- Living facilities for your loved one with incontinence. (n.d.). Retrieved March 11, 2021, from https://www.nafc.org/facility-care